Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Stuck in a rut?

Ever get stuck in a rut? .... The answer is probably yes, even if you don't know it.
I've recently had the epiphany that I was in just that place. I didn't realize cause I was too busy being, well being kind of lazy actually.

What brought about this epiphany you might ask? My wonderful boyfriend paid a visit to my little island and I had such an awesome time, it really got me thinking about my life here on La Isla.

When Guillermo was here we rented a golf cart and explored the island. He gave me lessons on how to drive a moto, we tried different kinds of food, went to beaches I've never gone to before and took a trip to Isla Contouy, an island about an hour away from Isla Mujeres. Through being adventurous and getting out more, I learned so much about the place I live. When he was surprised I hadn't been to so many of these places, I would shrug and say, "I'm busy" .... which of course, is a pretty lame excuse.
You think this is scary, I went out on the road after... but don't worry,  I decided I'm going to stick to walking.

I live a mile and a half from this place and had never been!

I am not proposing dangling off a ledge to get out of a rut, just G's idea of a good picture.

 I'm definitely an adventurous person, but I got so caught up in work and just being lazy really, that I became complacent with doing the same old same old. I always go to the same beach, (and only on the weekend) the same restaurant (across the street) and run the same route every morning (if I manage to even make it out of bed). I'm embarrassed to admit this to all of you who think I have some crazy exotic life or something, but hey, it's true!

But now, thanks to my best friend, I'm getting out of this rut. This morning I woke up early and went for a run along the south side of the island. I took in the refreshing ocean breeze (as I was doubled over, gasping for air, but regardless...) and stopped to chat with my neighbors a bit. I have all my lessons planned out and tomorrow I'm going to go snorkeling in between my classes. I'm looking at each day as being full of opportunity to explore this beautiful place and I'm making a conscious effort to do so as much as possible.

The fact is, it doesn't matter where you live.... life can become boring. So don't let it. Here's your slap in the face [smack!]. Get out, do something fun that you've never done before.  ENJOY. Cause life's short.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I was definitely stuck in a rut in Germany last semester but now I am back and looking forward to having adventures.

    Great pictures! Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete