Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cambodian Beaches

Recently, some fellow teachers, friends and I went to Independence beach. It's a short tuk tuk ride away but I felt like we were in an entirely different country! Our neighborhood is quite busy. There are always a lot of motos driving back and forth and people are always walking to and from the many shops that are around.
The beach was right off of a resort so it was quite different from the Cambodia I experience every day. The lawns and flowers were watered and well manicured and quite nice. The beach itself was amazing; pure white sand and beautiful seashells met by the sea.I walked away from the beach a bit along a path overlooking the water and then across huge boulders to a place called Treasure Island and enjoyed the scenic views.

I've seen sand and water in quite a few places in the world but I have to say, Cambodian beaches are my new favorite. I don't know how else to explain it, but they have character and a serenity about them that I've never experienced before. You can do normal beach things like lay in the sun on a lounge chair with your friends but you can also walk a minute away and be all alone and enjoy a beach view uncluttered by bikini and speedo clad humans.







 




I climbed out on a big boulder and sat watching crabs scatter in the frothy waves below me and I have to say it was the most at peace I've been in a long time. There's really something to be said about separating yourself from the craziness of life and taking time to BE. Perhaps you don't have a beach in your backyard but you can still take time to marvel at something small. Maybe that means turning off the tv and watching the sunset or looking out your window at the falling snowflakes; it doesn't matter where in the world you live, we really are surrounded by beauty, we just have to take the time to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment