Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Village

Our water is too brown to make rice right now so I guess I have time to write a bit :)


This past week has definitely been the hardest one I’ve had here yet. I got a cold, food poisoning, and shingles. If you don’t know what shingles are I don’t recommend looking it up, it’s not pretty.  I was going to leave that part out for that very reason and also so my mother doesn’t read this and worry; however, I feel that honesty is the best policy sometimes and if you’re reading this you might be interested in how I’m really doing. So the answer is, last week I wasn’t doing very well. But things are looking up.
On Sunday, I dragged myself out of bed to go with the youth group to a local village.  They sang songs, gave a short message and then we handed out food.  I didn’t understand a word of what was said and couldn’t communicate more than “Hello” but I was glad I went. It’s sometimes really awkward not being able to communicate well with people here but I think God is teaching me patience, and that actions really can speak louder than words.
Me and Srey Mom, a really awesome student from LU
I was encouraged by the fact that so many busy university students took time out of their weekend to minister to these people. It made me think of the way I live in the States. At home, I felt so consumed by school and day to day living. I rarely ever purposely set time aside to serve others.
I have no idea how long I’m going to be here but something that I’ve purposed in my heart to do no matter where in the world I live is to always set aside time to do the things that really matter.  
Enjoy the pictures and choppy video!






No comments:

Post a Comment